Re: lang/guile30 violates basic pkgsrc mechanisms to work around an ancient bug

At Wed, 13 Apr 2022 06:38:42 +0000, nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: lang/guile30 violates basic pkgsrc mechanisms to work around an ancient bug

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 06:01:10PM -0700, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> >
> > I cannot even begin to imagine how invoking Autoconf configure scripts
> > in the documented correct way could cause any problems, never mind
> > actual harm.
>
> It might be worth proving this (e.g. by running a bulk build with
> your proposed infrastructure change). We simply don't know what
> thousands of packages out there might be doing, or the assumptions
> they might be making.

The proof is already in every copy of "config.guess", and has been for
literally years.  (Since at least 1997, probably even earlier.)

I.e. if you run any GNU Autoconf generated "configure" script without
passing '--host=something' then "config.guess" will be used to supply
the system type, and on native NetBSD that will be almost exactly the
following (except "netbsd" might be "netbsdelf" on some platforms):

	"$(uname -p)-unknown-netbsd($uname -r | sed -e 's/[-_].*//' | cut -d. -f1,2)"

I am reasonably confident every package has been built on a NetBSD
platform with the default result of "config.guess" at one time or
another.

> A less intrusive change (that I would be happier committing without
> testing the entire of pkgsrc with) would be a way to override the
> target triple on a per-package basis.

In case you have not yet noticed, that already exists, in several forms,
and the changes I proposed preserve all of those ways.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>