Re: bsd.prefs.mk, sun-solaris vs. pc-solaris (LOWER_VENDOR)

On Sun, 9 Jan 2022 12:09:42 +0100
Thomas Merkel <tm%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> by debugging an libffi issue on illumos/SmartOS I found the following
> difference between illumos (solaris) based distributions (or especially
> pkgsrc) for:
>
>   gcc -dumpmachine
>
> on Solaris 11:         x86_64-pc-solaris2.11
> on OpenIndiana:        x86_64-pc-solaris2.11
> on SmartOS via pkgsrc: x86_64-sun-solaris2.11
>

> I've checked bsd.prefs.mk and we configure LOWER_VENDOR to sun on
> SunOS detection.
>
> Does it make sense to change it also to "pc" for SunOS or is it there
> for any historical reasons? Based on the quote from the OSdev wiki [1]
> it could be "pc":
>
> > Notice how the vendor field is mostly irrelevant and is usually 'pc'
> > for 32-bit x86 systems or 'unknown' or 'none' for other systems [1]
>
> Your advice is really welcome.

I think it would be best to patch whatever is querying the GCC
provided triplet to instead use the pkgsrc provided triplet,
MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM.

Please use great care if changing LOWER_VENDOR. Since the triplet
gets encoded into various PLISTs you can break existing pkgsrc
installations that way.

Kind regards,
-Tobias