Re: infrastructure change needed for python modules

On Wed, 15 Dec 2021 07:56:47 -0500
Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Niclas Rosenvik <nros%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > I don't really know how long you have come with this.
> > But I have an idea for wheel.mk . Allow pkgsrc to download
> > and extract platform independent wheels. These have filenames
>
> That sounds ok for building -bin variants of python packages.  We've
> long had the idea that package builds should be from source, unless
> noted.  As I remember someone crankily saying something like this
> earlier: This is pkgsrc.  If I want pkgbin, I know where to find that.
>
> I don't mean to say that I think we shouldn't add support for this,
> just that the overall situation about source vs not needs some
> thought.

Not really bin variants, as I wrote they include only platform
independent files. In pythons case .py python scripts that can run on
any platform that has a python interpreter. Plus are not .py python
sources? Plus, I just succeeded in building flit_core using the build
frontend and it generates, exactly a file of the same name. And that is
then installed. The install step creates bytecode variants (.pyc) of
the wheel.