Re: Rust and Q-branching

* On 2021-09-03 at 13:10 BST, Greg Troxel wrote:

It is really unfortunate that the rust world thinks it is ok to depend
on really recent rust.  1.54.0 was only released 36 days ago.  So
separately from our stability concerns about updates close to freeze, I
don't think it's a problem to defer those updates until after branching.

I know I'm biased in favour of Rust, which may cloud my judgement, but I think it's important to realise that software in general is moving towards more frequent releases and a more aggressive expectation of things being up-to-date, and it's just something we're going to have to deal with or be left behind.

Rust developers and users primarily use "rustup" to handle their toolchain, and will generally switch to the latest version with a simple "rustup update" on the same day it is released. When you're used to that workflow, it's unfortunate, but 36 days feels like an eternity.

In terms of Rust releases, other than having to produce the necessary bootstraps, this should not in theory affect any package builds. Rust has a very strict notion of "editions":

  https://doc.rust-lang.org/edition-guide/editions/index.html

so if there is some software that builds ok on rust 1.N but not 1.N+1 or even 1.N+47 then that is a bug in that software, i.e. it hasn't correctly specified which edition it is targeting.

That of course doesn't excuse drive-by updates, and we should be as careful as possible, but it should mean we can be more confident that as long as Rust itself builds on all important platforms we should be good to go, at least compared to some other languages.