Re: PKG_DBDIR migration script

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 09:39:14AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> maya%NetBSD.org@localhost writes:
>
> > I believe that the change to tolerate /var/db/pkg silently has made it
> > possible to update setups without harm, and makes upgrade scripts less
> > urgent.
>
> It has helped greatly.  But there is still the PKG_DBDIR value in the
> mk.conf world, which gets passed in via -K to various operations; I see
> it in make replace (why it's there, I'm not sure, but that's for another
> day).  I feel that I can't prove there are no troubles from having a
> mismatch from mk.conf and fileysystem, and that having users force-point
> their pkgsrc/mk world and tools world to their actual database dirs is
> going to take a lot of problems -- some of which I probably haven't
> even thought of -- off the table.

FWIW, It's now a fatal error to be relying on "compatibility
/var/db/pkg" and not setting PKG_DBDIR in mk.conf when building packages.

.if !defined(PKG_DBDIR) && exists(/var/db/pkg)
PKG_DBDIR_ERROR=        Compatibility pkgdb location exists, but PKG_DBDIR not specified. \
                        This may cause unexpected issues. To avoid problems, add \
                        PKG_DBDIR=/var/db/pkg to /etc/mk.conf.
.endif