Re: get rid of LOCALBASE

    Date:        Thu, 3 Dec 2020 19:22:21 +0100
    From:        Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost>

  | Currently there are both in use, the proposal is to use only one of the two.

Yes, understood, though as LOCALBASE is the one users might have set
in their configs, if you were to keep just one of them, that would be
the one to keep (though it would probably require more changes throughout
pkgsrc).

But in an earlier message you said:

wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost said:
  | So perhaps we should switch NetBSD to run bootstrap like all the other
  | platforms... I don't know another solution.

And then Roland offered this "get rid of one" as a possible other solution.

But if the underlying issue is that PREFIX is defined too late for some
uses, and that's confusing, then why not just define it earlier.

That is, move it from bsd.pkg.mk to bsd.prefs.mk.

Now that's going to mean that the old (or planned) uses that Joerg mentioned
will no longer work (or not easily) as, as I understand it, they require
being able to set PREFIX based upon LOCALBASE and data from the pkgsrc
Makefile ... but if unifying the two is considered feasible, then that
cannot matter, you've already abandoned all of those possibilities.

kre