Re: Bounty for GDM

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 09:20:25AM +0200, Dan Cirnat wrote:
> On 2020-05-19 11:23:31 +0000, coypu%sdf.org@localhost said:
>
> > I'd like to offer a bounty of $500 to whoever completes the bounty, with
> > the following condition.
>
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone working on this? I have a bit of free time and I also want
> GNOME 3 packaged.
>
> My plan is to continue from wip/gdm. I already have pkgsrc-wip commit
> access.
>
> However, I'm new to packaging and C/UNIX programming. Eager to learn,
> but I'm not sure I can pull it off. If anyone wants pair up or take the lead
> and
> offer a bit of mentorship I'd highly appreciate it.

Hi Dan,

Mentoring might be easier if you join the IRC channel.
We are on irc.freenode.org #pkgsrc and there's usually someone active.

A good start is:
1. Install pkgtools/pkglint.
`pkglint -Wall -Call` often points out good mistakes.
2. Install pkgtools/url2pkg
It's a utility that can do a lot of the initial package preparation
3. Fetch pkgtools/pkgdiff, and export EDITOR=yourfavouriteeditor.
this will allow you to create patches with
pkgvi path/to/package/file.c
mkpatches; make mps
And then the patch will be applied.

The list of dependencies can be listed with
`make show-buildlink3`, usually.

I would assume anything not in wip is updated, so wip/accountsservices
(as nia said) is probably the first thing to update.

It's important to commit and push often when working together.

I don't know if GDM is the best starting point to GNOME3, the bounty is
there because it's an annoying package to debug and needs more patches
than other parts of GNOME.
wip/gnome3 holds a list of components of GNOME, some of them are already
done as being 3.versions, but not everything.
It's safe to assume that "if it's in wip, it might need some attention
now", or if it has a version starting with the number 2.something