Re: PATCH: add an option to mark outdated packages to pkg_chk

Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> See the attachment.
>
> I mused on Twitter that what I really want in a package upgrade is to
> mark all outdated packages as to-be-rebuilt, then run
> pkg_rolling-replace. This patch adds a new "pkg_chk -o" invocation
> that does just that.
>
> OK to commit? (minus the DEBUG printf)

I have had a similar thought, but I don't like the co-opting of the
user-requested rebuild flag.

So I would like to see:

  change this to set the mismatched= variable instead, or some other
  name people like that isn't the existing manually-requested rebuild
  flag.
    (I said mismatched because's that appears in pkg_chk already and in
    pkg_rr, although sometimes pkg_check says outdated.  Really this has
    nothing to do with date; it's about the version in pkgsrc being
    different from the installed package.)

  add to pkg_rr a few lines to OR in packages with the new variable along
  with rebuild=yes packages and unsafe_depends=yes packages

  [leave open the notion that pkg_rr would have an option to omit the
  mismatched variable from the or, but default on if so]

which I think will do exactly what you want, just a bit more cleanly.

I would also be ok with later changing pkg_rr to basically run the
'pkg_chk -o' and then use the variable, instead of what it does now.

All that said,