Re: Wrappers don't transform @file syntax

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 09:56:07AM +0900, PHO wrote:
> On 2020-01-15 02:01, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 09:43:49PM +0900, PHO wrote:
> >> I stumbled upon a problem where wrappers don't transform @file syntax
> >> accepted by tools like gcc, ld, and ar. Missing dependencies went
> >> unnoticed because GHC used it to link libraries and executables:
> >
> > More inconsistencies between old and new wrappers. Frankly, I would
> > prefer to bail out on @ instead, especially since it is way to easy to
> > hide it in various places.
>
> Well... bail out? Do you mean you think cwrappers shouldn't interpret
> @file? If so I will patch GHC so that it won't use it, instead of
> changing the behavior of cwrappers.

Yeah, I'm more inclined to not do anything about them. There is one
valid use case for @file where expansion would seriously break things.
It's a known workaround to argv size limits when dealing with many
object files. The bigger question would be why GHC is using it in first
place, especially for anything but list of object files.

Joerg