Re: Licensing question: content deemed to have entered the public domain?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 08:52:47PM -0500, David H. Gutteridge wrote:
> If it's a concern, the music21 project also offers a "corpus-free"
> distribution that removes all these scores. But I'd prefer to keep them
> in. (From what I've determined, all the presently included works are in
> the public domain in any jurisdiction. But the selection may change, of
> course.)

Please use that one. Packages and distfiles are mirrored in many parts
of the world and many of those have been signature states of the Berne
convention for a century longer than the USA. Most noticable, the USA
considers 1923 a cut-off date for the public domain where as many
authors or composers haven't died before 1950 and 70 years is the
protection used inside the EU.

Joerg