Re: databases/sql-workbench: Not marked as having restrictive license

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 12:20:02PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 09:32:18AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >> Thanks, added RESTRICTED.
> >
> > I'd go one step further and actually remove the package.
>
> (I did set NO_*_ON_* because in the general case one cannot redistribute
> this.)
>
> We have lots of packages with non-Free licenses.  A common thing is of
> course "no commercial use".
>
> However, calling out specific entities and field-of-use restrictions is
> a non-Freeness well beyond not permitting derived works and no
> commercial use, and we could talk about whether pkgsrc should not
> package such things.  Currently, I don't think we have such a rule.

My problem is not so much a restriction such as "no commercial use".
That's moderate sharp and precise. The problem I have here is that the
exception list is very broad and imprecise. It seems to be a legal
minefield for anyone.

Joerg