Re: Default to fetching from CDN first?

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2019 at 09:05:23AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>  > I do see the point that people would be less likely to notice a missing
>  > upstream.   But once you have fetched the distfile, you won't either.
>
> The whole point of mirroring distfiles is to avoid having to notice
> when the file goes missing upstream.

That's the point for everyone but the package maintainer.

<rillig-baiting>Now, if pkglint could optionally warn when the upstream
distfile is no longer fetchable, and cache this so it never checks more
than once every 30-90 days, that would be cool.   Of course, this is
disconnected from the choice of where to fetch first.</>