textproc/xmlcatmgr/catalogs.mk

I am having trouble understanding the following portion of textproc/xmlcatmgr/catalogs.mk, in particular the definition of SGML_ENTRIES:

# Convert SGML_CATALOGS files into arguments for SGML_ENTRIES.
.if !empty(SGML_CATALOGS)
.  for c in ${SGML_CATALOGS}
SGML_ENTRIES+=	CATALOG ${PREFIX:=${c}} --
.  endfor
.endif

The same problems occur with several packages that use catalogs.mk, but for illustration I'll describe the case of textproc/iso8879.

My PREFIX is a full path, e.g., /full/path/to/pkg.  Below <PREFIX> represents this variable expanded.

SGML_CATALOGS=<PREFIX>/share/sgml/iso8879/catalog.
SGML_ENTRIES=CATALOG <PREFIX>/<PREFIX>/share/sgml/iso8879/catalog --

Why is there an extra <PREFIX> in the definition of SGML_ENTRIES?  Why is PREFIX being redefined in catalogs.mk?

The effect of this is to mess up the paths in the installed catalogs.

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers,
Brook