Re: pkglint and R packages

* On 2019-08-02 at 16:51 BST, Brook Milligan wrote:

> > The semantics of OWNER and MAINTAINER are different.  My impression is
> > that there is nothing special abour R relative to this point.  So an R
> > package should have either MAINTAINER or OWNER, just like any other
> > package.
>
> Could you clarify the difference?  Sorry, but I'm forgetting what should perhaps be obvious.

Copied from the pkgsrc guide:

  * OWNER should be used instead of MAINTAINER when you do not want other
    developers to update or change the package without contacting you first. A
    package Makefile should contain one of MAINTAINER or OWNER, but not both.

I would request that you do not use OWNER unless absolutely necessary,
it can be incredibly frustrating as a pkgsrc developer if there are
issues with a package that you want to fix, even if they are trivial,
but cannot until you have heard back from the owner (who may be on
vacation or otherwise unavailable).