Re: news/pan and mk/tools/gettext.mk

On Fri 16 Nov 2018 at 15:25:23 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 02:56:21PM +0100, Rhialto wrote:
> > On Fri 16 Nov 2018 at 14:19:02 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > > *Why* does it want a newer version? It is *very* undesirable to pull in
> > > pkgsrc gettext.

> > According to
> > http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/reports/2018Q3/NetBSD-8.0-x86_64/20181109.1909/pan-0.145nb1/build.log
> > it uses msgfmt --xml and msgfmt --desktop.

> I'd say we can just ship them statically.

That sounds a bit drastic. I guess your reluctance to use pkgsrc
gettext-tools is to avoid mixing two versions of libintl in one
executable? If that is the reason, there is no problem here. Msgfmt is
used purely as build tool (not run-time) and it links to libintl from
base.

There seems to be at least another package in a somewhat similar
situation: www/lynx. That one depends on gettext-tools (and it is
registered as a full dependency, not a tool dependency). But it also
just links to /usr/lib/libintl.so.1.

A quick look at the Makefile and a grep through the distfile doesn't
immediately reveal why lynx wants pkgsrc gettext-tools; maybe it isn't
even needed any more.

> Joerg
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- "What good is a Ring of Power
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- if you're unable...to Speak." - Agent Elrond