Re: py-setuptools as a DEPENDS?

Frédéric Fauberteau <triaxx%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> Le 2018-08-29 12:03, Adam a écrit:

>> One need to go through the packages and figure out which ones.
>
> No idea how to do that... Extract each ^py-* and grep something with
> setuptools in setup.py...?

Once you find one, somehow, it's probably easier to figure out a general
way.

>> Or... just switch to BUILD_DEPENDS and amend later.

Presumably we need a package-settable variable that says a package needs
setuptools at runtime, and a conditional in egg.mk.

Not that anybody suggested when this might happen, but speaking as pmc,
we are too close to the branch for a "do something that is known to
cause breakage and fix the fallout" operation.

> 1) An idea about how many packages could be affected?

A good quesion!

> 2) Could we override BUILD_DEPENDS by DEPENDS for packages that need
> py-setuptools as a running dependency?

Yes, I think that's the thing to do - see above for a mechanism.

But, I wonder if this is worth the effort, especially that we don't know
the amount of pain.  It is actually 3 MB, more than I epxected, but
small compared to python itself (70 MB, both on some random system I
looked at).

Does any python documentation address this issue?

Maybe Frédéric, if you want to pursue this, can change the line on just
your system, and rebuild everything, and remove setuptools, and see if
you notice any trouble.