Re: Asterisk package naming

On Aug 3,  7:20am, "D'Arcy Cain" wrote:
} On 2018-08-03 02:32 AM, John Nemeth wrote:
} > On Aug 2,  7:24am, "D'Arcy Cain" wrote:
} > } Hopefully once asterisk is gone we won't re-use the name.
} >
} >      I have no intention of doing that.
}
} OK, I thought that someone said that it was being dropped soon.

     I meant that I have no intention of reusing comms/asterisk
once it is gone.

} >      The only precedent that I could find is editors/emacs.  And,
} > that was likely done because there are a crapton of emacs "modules".
}
} So there is a package with a meta version for selecting the preferred
} version.  I thought someone said that we don't have any.

     With thousands of packages, it's likely that nobody knows
every package.

} >      The first point is about creating a meta-package with a default
} > version.  The problem with this is, at what point do I change the
} > major version that the meta-package installs?  This could lead to
} > a crapton of debates that I'm really not interested in.  Secondly,
}
} I would assume that it would always be the current LTS.

     I wouldn't call that a safe assumption.  It would be just as
reasonable to wait six or a certain number of patch releases before
switching.  This is a perfect example of the debates that I see as
being possible.  No solution is likely to satisfy everybody.  Then
again, it is likely that there are a relatively small number of
people running Asterisk on NetBSD so there just might be a solution.
But, in any event, I prefer not to deal with the debate.

}-- End of excerpt from "D'Arcy Cain"