Re: gtk3 and cups

			Hi,

adding to the discussion here:

On 29/06/2018 16:48, Greg Troxel wrote:

> I just noticed that gtk3 now defaults to depending on cups, and
> that this was recently added.  This seems like a big change, and
> my impression was that we didn't generally do that, because there
> are a variety of approaches to printing in use.  I don't remember
> discussion about it, but maybe I missed it.
>
> What do people think?  Some people seem to think cups is necessary,
> and some people seem to hate it and banish it from their systems.
>
> (I don't really understand why a graphics toolkit needs to deal
> with printing, but I'm guessing there is some print widget
> included.)

In my opinion we should indeed enable cups by default for both
x11/gtk2 and x11/gtk3.

For one thing, I have worked on making cups lighter for those who do
not want the extra weight, by creating the print/cups-base package,
which is the only hard dependency for x11/gtk2 and x11/gtk3. I wrote
that there has been a discussion about this, but could only find:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2017/05/12/msg024837.html
So possibly I've had this discussion orally only (most likely at
pkgsrcCon last year).

Now, every time I update pkgsrc, printing breaks for me. I have HP
printers (a market leader) and they do require CUPS for the open source
driver (print/hplip). Printing with Gtk+ applications (also a common
case) does require CUPS to be usable:
- - LPR is impractical for more than one queue
- - setting options as defined by the PPD only works with CUPS (eg
  black/white, tray, covers...)
There used to be gtklp for the latter, but it's long been deprecated.

I think the users of our binary packages ought to be able to print
without having to build Gtk+ again. I'm sorry but the default printing
widget is nowhere near good enough.

As for why printing is relevant to a widget toolkit, I can point to:
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/gtk3-High-level-Printing-API.htm
(since Gtk+ 2.10)

Worse even, I just figured while updating that besides
print/cups-filters (included in the meta-package print/cups) it seems
we also need:
- - the "avahi" option enabled by default in cups (manuel just mentioned
  that "for most usage mdsd support is enough" though)
- - graphics/colord

For good measure we should also enable the "sane" option by default in
print/hplip, otherwise it is also not possible to scan. For desktop
users the "qt4" or "qt5" option would be useful, too.

I see also that print/cups should probably use DEPENDS instead of
including buildlink3.mk (in the Makefile). I can change that after the
freeze, and add graphics/colord there too.

About CUPS not building on MacOS X, it is ironic since Apple is the
upstream... Any idea what the issue is?

Cheers,
- --
khorben