gtk3 and cups

I just noticed that gtk3 now defaults to depending on cups, and that
this was recently added.  This seems like a big change, and my
impression was that we didn't generally do that, because there are a
variety of approaches to printing in use.  I don't remember discussion
about it, but maybe I missed it.

What do people think?  Some people seem to think cups is necessary, and
some people seem to hate it and banish it from their systems.

(I don't really understand why a graphics toolkit needs to deal with
printing, but I'm guessing there is some print widget included.)