Re: Structuring configuration file versioning support in pkgsrc

On Fri, 18 May 2018 14:05:10 +0200
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:

> I think you have a long way to go before you should start worrying
> about that.

I do worry because further features depend on the solution being
appropriately structured from the beginning, and a clear requirement for
on the wiki for the proposed idea was to have the code be capable of
working with multiple versioning systems, local and remote.

> Really, start with just RCS. It works very well for the
> purpose at hand. In many ways, better than any other option. It is
> also already used in NetBSD for a very similar purpose by the daily
> jobs to backup some core configuration files.
>
> I.e. a good first milestone would be to extend the current
> CONF_FILES_* logic to checkout the last version from above RCS
> database, compare it to the newly installed reference file

I'd like to produce code which is seen as useful to the project and
unproblematic. This, however, is somewhat different from the proposal I
submitted for review to tech-pkg
(http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2018/03/22/msg019543.htm,
https://www.scribd.com/document/374557117/GSOC-2018-public-proposal-conf-versioning-in-pkgsrc?secret_password=eEZwOcGIyoie156VXgko)
before the final document got approved.

If the proposal, in scope, technical implementation and milestones is
to be changed so that it can better align with pkgsrc goals I'm fine
with it: please just have the NetBSD Foundation tell me this is
the path going forward and the way it should change.

Thanks