Re: Why do we ship libpython3.so?

* On 2017-11-09 at 11:27 GMT, Patrick Welche wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 09, 2017 at 11:13:22AM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > As far as I can tell this is a completely empty, useless library, that
> > only causes CONFLICTs:
>
> Apparently it is a feature not a bug:
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0384/

Well, part of it is our bug.  It's not built correctly by pkgsrc
because it depends on GNU make syntax but we don't pull in gmake,
hence why it doesn't have any input files and results in a useless
library.

> While you're at it, please carry on arguing a bit in:
> https://bugs.python.org/issue17975

I have zero desire to do that, we can simply just remove it ourselves
and carry on.  The question is whether there is anyone who thinks we
should instead build it correctly and continue shipping it (which
won't remove the CONFLICT but will fix my CTF issue).