Re: Building native packages with pkgsrc

* On 2017-08-12 at 09:39 BST, Mikhail T. wrote:

> On 10.08.2017 22:24, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>
> > Supporting additional package formats is currently being worked
> > on, but with no timetable for completion at present.
>
> I'd like to inquire about the status of Ubuntu/Debian packaging in
> particular. Is that in the state, where a reasonably competent
> person can start building native packages?

No, but a reasonably competent person can certainly work on support
for it.  It's not difficult, it just requires patience and
determination.  I had a dpkg backend working within a few days for
basic packages, but the hard work is getting it work for everything
and working through all the corner cases.  Unfortunately I can no
longer find that branch so would need to start again from scratch.

It would certainly be an interesting project for someone to work on,
and as soon as we have a fully working alternative backend implemented
it'll make all the others easier as we'll have proven all the
abstractions are correct.