Building native packages with pkgsrc (was: Re: pkgsrc-based Linux distribution)

Picking up on the conversation archived here:
https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2013/04/10/msg011065.html
Aleksey Cheusov wrote:
we [pkgsrc] should provide yum repository for RHEL, zypper repos for SLES, apt repositories for Debian derivatives etc.
I agree with the above rather strongly -- pkgsrc should not be "all or nothing". It offers a far superior way to build packages on most OSes, but there is no justification for it replacing the native package-managers.

Myself a happy user of FreeBSD ports, I'm now tasked with setting up package-building for Ubuntu and would much rather use pkgsrc, than anything Ubuntu/Debian offer. But the resulting packages, however I build them, must be installable on a generic Ubuntu system, playing well with the packages installed through other channels.

"Real" admin won't learn new package managers.

It is not just that -- these days packages are installed/upgraded on systems via tools like Ansible and Puppet...

Because the packages we need to build are (for now) small and simple, I may be able to just convert the pkgsrc-produced .tgz files into .deb ones -- using either my own scripts or epm, as Aleksey suggested 4 years ago.

But I do wish, that pkgsrc should offered a way to build native packages officially -- indeed, that should be the default mode...
Obviously we should _not_ use /usr as a prefix for many reason.
This is the part I do not consider "obvious" at all. But, as long as the prefix remains configurable, there is no need to agree on the single location...

Yours,
-mi