Re: pkgsrc frozen for 2017Q2

On 06/29/17 06:48, Greg Troxel wrote:
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 08:12:04PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
That sounds like a framework bug.  USE_LANGUAGES=c++11 is supposed to
ensure that the complier used is capable of c++11.
No, it doesn't. That wouldn't work as it results in random mixing of GCC
versions used with different ABIs. You have to preselect a version that
supports all the C++ ABIs you need.
While again agreeing on the ABI issue, I see in mk/compiler.mk that
USE_LANGUAGES is documented to select an appropriate compiler, which is
the only reasonable expectation.

So it's a bug that if the compiler being used is not adequate, an error
isn't thrown early on along the lines of "chosen version of gcc X does
not supported required language c++11" and the build not even attempted.

I think the immediate question is how many packages like googletest are broken, perhaps because the maintainer thought this would select an appropriate compiler?

Running

grep -l USE_LANGUAGES.*c++11 */*/Makefile

and then checking each result for lack of GCC_REQD produces this list:

audio/paman/Makefile
audio/paprefs/Makefile
audio/pavucontrol/Makefile
audio/pavumeter/Makefile
cad/kicad/Makefile
chat/swift/Makefile
databases/mysql-workbench/Makefile
databases/sqlrelay-nodejs/Makefile
devel/atkmm/Makefile
devel/creduce/Makefile
devel/cssc/Makefile
devel/gconfmm/Makefile
devel/gdb/Makefile
devel/google-glog/Makefile
devel/googletest/Makefile
devel/libglademm/Makefile
devel/libgnomemm/Makefile
devel/libgnomeuimm/Makefile
devel/libsexymm/Makefile
devel/libthrift/Makefile
devel/libview/Makefile
devel/open-vcdiff/Makefile
devel/pangomm/Makefile
devel/woboq_codebrowser/Makefile
editors/codeblocks/Makefile
editors/gobby/Makefile
editors/mlview/Makefile
editors/obby/Makefile
fonts/lcdftypetools/Makefile
games/ccgo/Makefile
games/pingus/Makefile
games/wesnoth/Makefile
geography/merkaartor/Makefile
graphics/gimmage/Makefile
graphics/goocanvasmm/Makefile
graphics/lepton/Makefile
graphics/libgnomecanvasmm/Makefile
graphics/opencv2/Makefile
graphics/opencv-contrib-face/Makefile
graphics/opencv/Makefile
ham/fldigi/Makefile
ham/flxmlrpc/Makefile
misc/gelemental/Makefile
misc/rocs/Makefile
misc/sword/Makefile
multimedia/gnash/Makefile
multimedia/subtitleeditor/Makefile
net/grive/Makefile
net/kopete/Makefile
net/net6/Makefile
net/powerdns-recursor/Makefile
net/synergy/Makefile
print/xetex/Makefile
security/ecap_clamav_adapter/Makefile
sysutils/gcdmaster/Makefile
sysutils/gnome-system-monitor/Makefile
sysutils/gnome-vfsmm/Makefile
sysutils/mate-system-monitor/Makefile
sysutils/strigi/Makefile
textproc/FlightCrew/Makefile
textproc/xapian/Makefile
textproc/xapian-omega/Makefile
wip/crossguid/Makefile
www/libecap/Makefile
www/yahttp/Makefile
x11/gtkmm3/Makefile
x11/gtkmm/Makefile
x11/gtkmm-utils/Makefile
x11/gtksourceviewmm/Makefile

It's not a perfect search, as GCC_REQD could in theory be hidden away in another file, but it gives us an idea.

--
Earth is a beta site.