Re: Policy for adding DEPENDS

> The only advantage of RECOMMENDS and SUGGESTS is that it is
> machine-readable, otherwise it is either something that should be the
> default or something that should be documented.
As my example (should cups-filters depend on freefont-ttf) shows, there
are boundary cases.
You can regard RECOMMENDS as a documentation of "you probably want these
packages, too" and SUGGESTS as a documentation of "you may consider
installing these packages". It would have saved me about three working
hours if we had had that.
In case you don't like the names, think of "hard depends" (you can't
possibly get away without intstalling these) and "soft depends" (it will
probably not behave as you expect if you omit these).