Policy for adding DEPENDS

What's the policy for adding a DEPENDS to a package?

I spent the better half of yesterday's working day tracking down why I
couldn't print plain text files with CUPS 2.1 (print/cups) and the filters
(print/cups-filters). It turned out to be a missing font and I ended up
looking up the corresponding Debian packages Depends: lines to find I
needed to install fonts/freefont-ttf.

I was about to file a PR about a missing DEPENDS in print/cups-filters,
but one could argue you can install a different font package, print all
sorts of other formats just fine without the font or only need cups-browsed
(included in the same package) and not care about working filters at all.