Re: Policy for adding DEPENDS

> Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 09:54:46 -0700
> From: Alistair Crooks <agc%pkgsrc.org@localhost>
>
> I imagine binary packages are just built with the DEPENDS and
> RECOMMENDS included? If so, I'm not seeing any difference for binary
> package users. For source builders, it'd be nice, but a lot of the
> work most recently has been in binary packaging, so just trying to get
> a feel for these things.

In Debian, the binary package has separate DEPENDS, RECOMMENDS, and
SUGGESTS.  What apt-get actually installs depends on some apt
configuration variables.

I figured we'd do the same with pkg_install: add fields to binary
packages, teach pkgsrc to populate them, and put an option in
pkg_install.conf or a flag in pkg_add to decide which additional
RECOMMENDS or SUGGESTS to install.