Re: proposal: change default X11_TYPE on netbsd-6 to modular

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 08:17:09PM -0500, Jason Bacon wrote:
>  > What's the reasoning for maintaining two X11 collections?
>  >
>  > My view is that man-hours are precious, so if there isn't a very good
>  > reason to duplicate effort, then don't.
>  >
>  > I personally use modular for all my pkgsrc trees, mainly for consistency
>  > across platforms (CentOS, NetBSD, OS X).
>
> The short answer is "Having X on non-x86 ports".
>
> A somewhat longer form of that is: (a) pkgsrc crosscompiling is still
> not what it needs to be to get X built for all ports using fast build
> servers; (b) there are drivers and other bits that are only in native
> X so a big reconciliation is needed and this looks like work; (c)
> there's a faction that doesn't want to have to set up pbulk to get X
> built. And (d) I feel like I'm forgetting something.

All good points, but one can install a system with xsrc and use the
in-tree server, and clients, and then let pkgsrc build x libs for pkgsrc
uses, without any real trouble except duplication.

(I am not arguing to change the default at this point; just pointing out
that aside from having two copies of a bunch of smallish libs, it's not
that bad.)