Re: proposal: change default X11_TYPE on netbsd-6 to modular

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 08:17:09PM -0500, Jason Bacon wrote:
 > What's the reasoning for maintaining two X11 collections?
 >
 > My view is that man-hours are precious, so if there isn't a very good
 > reason to duplicate effort, then don't.
 >
 > I personally use modular for all my pkgsrc trees, mainly for consistency
 > across platforms (CentOS, NetBSD, OS X).

The short answer is "Having X on non-x86 ports".

A somewhat longer form of that is: (a) pkgsrc crosscompiling is still
not what it needs to be to get X built for all ports using fast build
servers; (b) there are drivers and other bits that are only in native
X so a big reconciliation is needed and this looks like work; (c)
there's a faction that doesn't want to have to set up pbulk to get X
built. And (d) I feel like I'm forgetting something.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost