Re: pkgsrc freeze for 2016Q4 starting on Dec 19

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 10:39:59AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> [...]
> Plus, as Thomas said, the time to propose and discuss deletions is
> during normal time, not pre-freeze or freeze; now we have time pressure,
> and That is likely to lead to rushed decisions.

I'm not proposing to delete the xen packages now, but it should be mentioned
in the 2016Q4 release notes so that we can remove them before 2017Q1.
To me it looks like we have plenty of time to discuss this before the
2016Q4 release notes are made public.

> It's possbile the people who do security patching to xen will decide to
> stop backporting to some versions.  That is of course their call, and
> will bear on the decision to delete.

as the one pathing the Xen packages, maintaining all of them is
quite a bit of work (this involves rebooting my test machine with
each version and testing guests. This is time consuming and error-prone).
Adding a 48 version increase the time even more. Personally I'll stop
maintaining 41 and 45 after 2016Q4 is branched, and if nobody is willing
to do the work it should be noted in the release notes that they
are EOL in pkgsrc.