Re: remove -Wl,--enable-new-dtags on NetBSD by default?

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 12:38:49PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> I just tracked down a problem with a package on NetBSD-current that
> couldn't find its library. It had -Wl,--enable-new-dtags on the linker
> line (next to -Wl,-R/path) and when I removed that, it worked.
>
> I don't really understand what the problem here is, but it doesn't
> sound like it'll be fixed soon.

Original ELF specification had stupid behavior of LD_LIBRARY_PATH vs
DT_RPATH. Some systems like NetBSD always implemented the sane behavior,
GNU decided to introduce a second variant called DT_RUNPATH to "fix" it.
Then they decided to make it an option for GNU ld which set of tags it
creates. Fast forward, random programs decide that they should be
messing with the toolchain configuration and hard-code this crap.

My position is that all use of -Wl,--enable-new-dtags should be
removed, unconditionally. I've never seen a working configure test for
it and if anything, it should be specified by the compiler driver as
part of the spec or whatever.

Joerg