Re: add PKG_INSTALL_TRY_UPGRADE -- please review

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 10:09:18AM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
> Since it's been three+ years I will restate the problem I was
> originally trying to solve:
> I am getting pretty sick of the following workflow:
>
> cd /usr/src/pkgsrc; cvs update
> cd devel/tig
> make install clean
>
> ... (an hour later)
>
> pkg_add: A different version of foo-dependency-1.0.1 is already
> installed: foo-dependency-1.0.0
> pkg_add: 1 package addition failed
> *** Error code 1

> (grumble) pkg_add -u /usr/src/packages/All/foo-depdendency-1.0.1
> make install
>
> repeat...
>
> </quote>
>

> I was reading https://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/how_to_upgrade_packages/
> and things don't really seem much better/different than they were
> three years ago.

The method above wasn't recommended 3 years ago :) and I don't know
anyone who's working on improving it. My recommendation (then and now)
is to build packages in a sandbox and install the binary packages you
get from that.

The page you cite doesn't even mention pkgin or nih. We should update
it...
 Thomas