Re: Rewriting pkglint in a portable language

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 03:43:20 +0100
Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:

> On 25.03.2016 08:37, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > That is what I was thinking too initially, but after thinking about
> > it more there is an alternative: instead of you wasting time on
> > rewriting it one more time, let's try to push portability of Go
> > (just like we should for Rust, see my mail from yesterday).

Thank you. That sounds much more reasonable :)

> > The question is what targets do we consider necessary - I wouldn't
> > think ancient NetBSD versions should be included (even if still
> > creating binary pkgs for them). Improving the make conditions that
> > swich over to the perl version should do.

Because of TLS and threading requirements, 5.99.51 is the lowest NetBSD version that you can run a Go binary on -- at least with the gc toolchain that we package as "Go".

There is a second solution, that I believe no one has worked on in pkgsrc: using gccgo.
gccgo is the gcc frontend to compile Go. It works on all platforms that GCC works on, including mips and such. The version that comes with gcc5 should just be able to replace the use of the go package.

Maybe we can make gccgo supported for Go packages instead of the gc toolchain, so that pkglint-in-go works on other systems as well.

Thoughts? Someone willing to work on this?

--
Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost>