Re: TMPDIR and bsd.pkg.mk (was Re: clang builds and /var/tmp)

Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 02:35:56PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I haven't had time to really think enough about this, but I tend to
>> agree with Joerg.    I think the real problem is that TMPDIR should
>> essentially never be /var/tmp for building.   It would seem reasonable
>> to think about forcing TMPDIR=/tmp in the environment in the various
>> opsys.mk files, essentially fixing bugs in the underlying OS that lead
>> to compiler intermediaries being in a real fs vs ram fs.
>
> I have lots of tiny boxes that I build native packages on "once in a
> while" that have a very limited tmpfs on /tmp and *need* to use
> /var/tmp for anything bigger.

If /tmp isn't big enough to compile, then perhaps you should not use ram
tmp, or you should make a much bigger tmpfs with some swap space, or you
should configure TMPDIR to a bigger place.  My point was really that
/tmp is where tmp should have been, and it was moved to /var/tmp for
historical reasons, and those reasons are mostly not broadly
applicable.

The hard part is documenting a notion of how much space /tmp is expected
to have.  It seems that anything less than 128 MB is not reasonable
these days, in the general case.   How small a /tmp  are you taking
about, and what fails?