Re: Removing find-prefix infrastructure

On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 09:57:02AM +0100, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
 > I'd like to propose removing the mk/find-prefix.mk infrastructure and
 > related configuration.  This was required in a pkgviews world to find
 > the installation prefix of a pkgsrc package, but since we removed
 > pkgviews it is entirely redundant.

I object to this not on the grounds that FIND_PREFIX is a good
mechanism (it's not) but that something like it is still needed.

To wit:

 >   BUILDLINK_PREFIX.pkg if pulled in via buildlink3.mk
 >   LOCALBASE if pulled in via DEPENDS

hardwiring LOCALBASE is a step backwards.

Currently if you use DEPENDS instead of bl3 to pull in a package that
has a builtin.mk, the builtin processing is skipped and the pkgsrc
version is built unconditionally. This is suboptimal; in fact, I would
be inclined to describe it as a bug, even though it's not readily
fixable.

The thing is, assuming we eventually fix it, using LOCALBASE for the
prefix of a package in DEPENDS is wrong, because it might be a builtin
package.

So we should have DEPENDS_PREFIX.pkg or the like. Dunno how to make it
work though :(

Maybe for now just insert DEPENDS_PREFIX.pkg?=$(LOCALBASE) at each
such site and use DEPENDS_PREFIX subsequently? Then we can at least
find them again later.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost