Re: Requiring USE_DESTDIR=yes after the branch

On Sep 26,  7:19pm, Greg Troxel wrote:
} Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:
}
} > following the pkgsrc-2015Q3 branch, I would like to remove the support
} > for USE_DESTDIR=no from pkgsrc. In terms of the infrastructure, the only
} > thing still depending on it is bootstrapping. I am working on that, but
} > I've been running out of time before the freeze started. Otherwise a
} > proper warning would have been added already.
}
} I'm assuming that user-destdir mode will remain - that seems obvious but
} I thought I'd make sure I wasn't confused.

     user-destdir mode is the default.  That's mode that doesn't
require root for building.

} I agree it is getting closer to being time to do this.  It seems there
} are two issues: the boostrapping one you mention, and then the question
} of how many packages would break.  I had thought there were some, but a
} quick grep seems to show that there are zero packages with
} PKG_DESTDIR_SUPPORT=none.  (There are 474 in wip, but that's not really
} relevant.)  Do you believe that there are no longer any
} non-destdir-supporting packages in pkgsrc proper?

     There was a big push some time ago to fix or eliminate all
packages that didn't support DESTDIR, so there should be none.  If
any have crept in, they should be fixed, or pushed back to wip.

}-- End of excerpt from Greg Troxel