Re: smf and rc.d

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

> * On 2015-09-19 at 15:22 BST, Richard PALO wrote:
>
>> At "real" install time, INIT_SYSTEM should determine whether to
>> install the packages rc.d files to RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR or to install the
>> smf file. I believe share/examples should always have both.
>
> I don't see any merit in that.  It would add significant complexity,
> and be very fragile having to determine INIT_SYSTEM at install time.
> Where would you set it, pkg_install.conf?  Environment variable?
>
> Also, why would you want rc.d scripts when you have SMF support?  And
> what happens when we introduce launchd/systemd/etc support, do all
> those INIT_SYSTEM's get installed too even though they may be
> completely incompatible with the target system?
>
> Basically I see no advantage to doing it that way and plenty of
> drawbacks and inconsistencies.

I don't have an opinion here, really, but I want to make sure I'm not
confused.  Are we talking about choosing between two world views:

  binary packages install control files for multiple init systems in
  share/examples (more or less) and then do actual installation  for
  just one, configured per system

  init system choice is a bootstrap-time choice, and packages have one
  and just use it

?