Re: heads up: please use USE_GITHUB=yes when packaging software hosted on GH

Greg Troxel wrote:
> Leonardo Taccari <iamleot%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > Hello MLH,
> >
> > MLH writes:
> >> What is the recommended practice for creating a git-based package
> >> that has no source distributions:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/blob/master/INSTALL-LINUX
> > If you are interested in packaging the master/HEAD and/or a package
> > that has no source distributions the best way is to use
> > wip/mk/git-package.mk. You can find various example on pkgsrc-wip but
> > it's pretty straight-forward to use, e.g. wip/mpv-git:
> >
> >  GIT_REPOSITORIES=  mpv
> >  GIT_REPO.mpv=              git://github.com/mpv-player/mpv.git
> >
> > ..and before "mk/bsd.pkg.mk" at the end please always remember to...
> >
> >  .include "../../wip/mk/git-package.mk"
> >
> > If you are looking for more information please give a look directly to
> > the "../../wip/mk/git-package.mk" file.
>
> That's good advice.
>
> Beyond that, it seems possible that git-pakage.mk could use some
> improvments (but maybe that's happened already).
>
> There's a larger question, which is that while you can package things
> into wip that don't have releases, we don't have git-package.mk in
> pkgsrc proper, so these packages can't be imported.  That's partly
> because no one has proposed importing git-package.mk and worked through
> any issues that will arise, and partly becuase there's a sense that if
> an upstream package isn't actually released, it doesn't belong in
> pkgsrc.

Goldencheetah had been around for I think over six years and has
a few other challenges in terms of distributions but that hasn't
changed in all this time and I suspect it won't. They have binary
releases made for the platforms they support and apparently believe
that is good enough, which is a bit sad as it is the primary
power/efficiency training package for cyclists.