re: requirements for MesaLib update in pkgsrc?

i don't know much about pkgsrc Mesa, but i can answer some
of these more generic questions.

> >From what I can tell mesa-10.5 ships classic DRI drivers as well as
> gallium drivers. Presumably the classic drivers should still work with
> NetBSD.

mesa 10.x *requires* DRI2, or greater, for work.  this means it
will not work with acceleration with netbsd-5 or netbsd-6.  for
those, you need to stick with mesa 7.x -- the last release with
support for DRI1 kernel apis (which is what -5 and -6 have.)

mesa 10.* *requires* clang to build the r300 DRI driver.  (this
is radeon 9600 to early radeon hd generations -- pre hd3xxx.)

we work around this in xsrc by building the last mesa 7.x r300
driver (with one minor ABI change) with GCC.

> So, which platforms and mk.conf settings could be considered a bare
> minimum to test before importing to pkgsrc? I use X11_TYPE=modular with
> current and just did a make replace. My binaries still work so hopefully
> no recursive revbumps will be necessary for this update.

AFAIK, X11_TYPE=modular should be the only case that matters
here.

(ie, if we need to update Mesa on X11_TYPE=native platforms,
we perhaps should consider telling them to use
X11_TYPE=modular instead.  mesa should be considered part of
the native X11..)

.mrg.