Re: Mac OS X using wrong SDK - serious build issue

Edgar Fuß <ef%math.uni-bonn.de@localhost> writes:

>> On a macosx10.9 machine, this prints out:
>>
>>  [...]/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk
> I'm not sure I understand this correctly.

> Are you saying that if I use the standard Apple-supplied tools to build a
> program on a 10.9 machine, I end up with a binary that will only run on 10.10?

Well, someone else told me this is different for them.  What I mean,
precisely is:

  I built a program on a 10.9.5 mac (most recent on 10.9 stable branch)
  with xcode 6.1.1 (up to date).  It was linked against the 10.10
  libraries, and fails to run on 10.9.

So yes, basically, I mean that.

> If yes, what's the Apple-suggested way to build for 10.9 (or, alternatively,
> for the build OS)?

On can pass some arguments to specify sdk version.  I think to build for
10.9 one is supposed to do somehing like:

  xcrun --sdk macosx10.9 clang -o foo foo.c

I don't know how to build for the build OS, other than running uname and
writing a script to translate from "Darwin 13.4.0" to "--macosx10.9".