Mac package troubles - missing symbols

On a mac running 10.9.4, I updated pkgsrc to head and rebuilt everything
with pkg_rolling-replace, as prep for the branch.   Most things built,
but when I ran the rebuilt cvs as 'cvs up', I got:

  dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _openat
    Referenced from: /usr/pkg/bin/cvs
    Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

  dyld: Symbol not found: _openat
    Referenced from: /usr/pkg/bin/cvs
    Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

  Trace/BPT trap: 5

Interestingly, 'cvs' does not trigger this, just 'cvs up'.

I reinstalled the old package (from March) and it works.  With 'nm -g' I
can see the openat symbol in the new version.

Could this be about my build using the latest XCode headers and ending
up building for 10.10, when I'm running 10.9?