Re: Preserving binary packages

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 02:45:03AM +0100, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> I think this is a question of semantics - a binary package is always
> created in the installation process, and it is then used to install
> into the final ${PREFIX}.  So your suggestion might seem unusual to
> some people.  As I said, I'm not convinced about the names, but one of
> the bye-products of this proposal was that we discuss the preservation
> of the binary packages that we build, because I'm not sure why your
> change was made in the first place.

The change was made because some people complained about the
accumulation of packages in ${PACKAGES} with USE_DESTDIR. While I didn't
exactly agree with the change, I had the necessary muscle memory
training already to not care enough and it removed one of the hassles
for making USE_DESTDIR the default.

Joerg