Re: switching netbsd-5 to modular xorg, again, this time really

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 11:31:23AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>  > We've talked about this multiple times.  Bulk builds on 2014Q2 are
>  > showing massive failures on netbsd-5.  The underlying issue is that
>  > netbsd-5 base system xsrc is really old, and enough things need newer
>  > that we are increasingly having to work hard to get new enough for them
>  > and coexist with old.  At this point I think it's a losing battle, and
>  > there's no good reason to try.  Using modular xorg works quite well, and
>  > I've been building on netbsd-5 with it for quite a long time.
>
> The other option is to update X in -5... I've thought for some time it
> would be good to do this, despite the compat costs.
>
> (Is there anything major that precludes just syncing it with head? I
> would expect perhaps a few build problems, but that sort of thing
> should be easily sortable.)
>
> Someone would have to do it, and while I probably could it would be
> crazy of me to take anything big on anytime soon. Is anyone at all
> interested in doing this?
>
> If not, we should certainly go ahead on switching pkgsrc over; but it
> seems to me that this decision should be made explicitly, not by
> default.
>
> I'm adding tech-x11 and hoping this doesn't cause a furor.

I note that there has been no furor :-)

I have committed the change.  I realized that even if newer xsrc bits
are pulled up, pkgsrc has to target a formal release in bulk builds, so
the newer xsrc needs binary compat and then we need a new 5.x and then
we can target it.  So that really seems too hard, and not worthwhile
(for me to spend time on; everybody makes their own call of course).