Re: GNU Affero General Public License

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> I am working on a package (OpenERP) which has the subject license.  We
> don't seem to have that in mk/license.mk.  I would add it in except
> that there is a reference to it in the comments which suggests that
> someone was already aware of it.  Am I supposed to use one of the
> existing GPL licences or should I add it (gnu-agpl-v3)?

gnu-agpl-v3 is in licences.  Do you mean that, or some other version?

board@ decided not to put gnu-agpl-v3 in DEFAULT_ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES, as
noted in license.mk:

#       As an exception to the Open Source or Free policy, the board
#       of The NetBSD Foundation has decided that licenses that
#       trigger obligations from use (rather than redistribution),
#       such as the Affero GPL, should not be in
#       DEFAULT_ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES.

> By the way, if I add the above license to my Makefile I don't get an
> error or even a warning that the license doesn't exist.  Shouldn't it
> tell you if it is an invalid license?

Presumably you are talking about "license file not found" rather than
"license name not in ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES".  Yes, probably it should
warn.