Re: Removing lang/python26

"OBATA Akio" <obata%lins.jp@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 02:05:18 +0900, Matthias Drochner
> <M.Drochner%fz-juelich.de@localhost> wrote:
>

>> I don't think we should force people to change major versions, unless it
>> becomes technically impossible to support the old one.
>> I have myself more often abandoned (or at least stopped to update)
>> pkgsrc on production machines in such cases.
>> Wrt Python-2.6: I'm using some commercial s/w which only comes as
>> precompiled .pyc for 2.6, on a laptop which I'm using for daily
>> work. That would be the next one where I had to drop pkgsrc...
>
> I believe that we already have some rule about removal of pkgsrc
> (package using non-redistributable distfile must have MAINTAINER,
>  or so one, where in documented?)
>
> Following new rule is reasonable?
> * EOL packages will be removed if no MAINTAINER.
>
> We used to be using such rule for mysql4.

I don't think this is reasonable.  Having python26 sit in pkgsrc is not
causing problems -- but it seems to offend people who want to stop other
people from running software that has hit EOL.   When there's actually a
problem for pkgsrc maintenance, then there will probably be broad
consensus to drop it.

Of course, there's a tradeoff between bulk build time and whether
anybody cares, which is really the question of what best serves the user
community.  I don't think we have zero user interest yet, and I don't
think python26 and py26-* are a signficant usage of bulk build time.

Are you seeing the continued presence of python26 as actively causing problems?
 Or
are you expressing from an "EOL bad, should be removed" general
viewpoint?