Re: Removing lang/python26

"OBATA Akio" <> writes:

> On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 02:05:18 +0900, Matthias Drochner
> <> wrote:
>> I don't think we should force people to change major versions, unless it
>> becomes technically impossible to support the old one.
>> I have myself more often abandoned (or at least stopped to update)
>> pkgsrc on production machines in such cases.
>> Wrt Python-2.6: I'm using some commercial s/w which only comes as
>> precompiled .pyc for 2.6, on a laptop which I'm using for daily
>> work. That would be the next one where I had to drop pkgsrc...
> I believe that we already have some rule about removal of pkgsrc
> (package using non-redistributable distfile must have MAINTAINER,
>  or so one, where in documented?)
> Following new rule is reasonable?
> * EOL packages will be removed if no MAINTAINER.
> We used to be using such rule for mysql4.

I don't think this is reasonable.  Having python26 sit in pkgsrc is not
causing problems -- but it seems to offend people who want to stop other
people from running software that has hit EOL.   When there's actually a
problem for pkgsrc maintenance, then there will probably be broad
consensus to drop it.

Of course, there's a tradeoff between bulk build time and whether
anybody cares, which is really the question of what best serves the user
community.  I don't think we have zero user interest yet, and I don't
think python26 and py26-* are a signficant usage of bulk build time.

Are you seeing the continued presence of python26 as actively causing problems?
are you expressing from an "EOL bad, should be removed" general