Re: [pkgsrc-users] Fixes for Darwin in bootstrap-mk-files

Hi,

From: Xiyue Deng <manphiz%gmail.com@localhost>
Subject: Re: [pkgsrc-users] Fixes for Darwin in bootstrap-mk-files
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 02:41:37 -0700

>> Looks almost good, but -force_load is not really equivalent to
>> --whole-archive. While --whole-archive is a nullary switch to start
>> including every object in archive files until --no-whole-archive
>> comes, -force_load is an unary option takes one archive file at a
>> time, so
>>
>>   (GNU) % ld --whole-archive libfoo.a libbar.a libbaz.a --no-whole-archive
>>
>> is equivalent to
>>
>>   (Apple) % ld -force_load libfoo.a -force_load libbar.a -force_load libbaz.a
>>

> Understood. For this particular case, it looks like ${SOLIB} can only
> be one static library so it should be safe (correct me if I'm wrong).

Indeed. You're right.

> Frankly, I suppose software should use
> autotools/cmake/other-more-robust-build-systems instead.

That's so true. libexecinfo should be libtoolized. There's no point in
spending much effort duplicating its functionality IMO.

Thanks,
 - PHO -                         http://cielonegro.org/
OpenPGP public key: 1024D/1A86EF72
Fpr: 5F3E 5B5F 535C CE27 8254  4D1A 14E7 9CA7 1A86 EF72