Re: Apache should never be a mandatory dependency

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 03:53:31PM +0200, Volkmar Seifert wrote:
 > > So if some kind of web server is a soft run-time dependency, then I
 > > think it makes sense to just not include it as a dependency at all.
 > Indeed. As long as not required for building, I'd strongly suggest to
 > remove all those dependencies, be that to a web-server, or to a
 > programming-language meant to somehow run in/behind a web-server (php,
 > ruby-on-rails, etc). Though with languages, build-dependencies -are-
 > more likely, so these should be included in a way that web-servers are
 > not pulled into the build unsolicited, and may even end up as a
 > dependency when installing the packages.

I do think it's a good idea to indicate somehow that some packages
require a web server. It isn't always obvious from DESCR; also,
making such requirements implicit makes turnkey installs harder.

The standard thing we do in this kind of situation is to make
everything that requires a web server include mk/ or
something like that (it wouldn't probably be a bl3 file) and this
figures out what webserver you're using based on config vars and
depends on that.

Not sure if that's really what we want here though.

David A. Holland