Re: pkg-config files for multiversion Lua

"OBATA Akio" <> writes:

> Hi,
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2014 02:06:53 +0900, Alexander Nasonov
> <> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> For a multiversion support of Lua packages lang/lua51 and lang/lua52
>> I need to decide how to handle two currently conflicting lua.pc
>> files. In my current local version they're split into two: lua-5.1.pc
>> and lua-5.2.pc. But at least one package www/lua-curl checks for a
>> package called 'lua'. Because there is no lua.pc file in the buildlink
>> shadow directory, pkg-config fails for this package.
>> I wanted to add a symbolic link lua.pc -> lua-${_LUA_DOT_VERSION}.pc to
>> the shadow directory but I don't see any support for it in the buildlink
>> framework. I see many versioned .pc files in /usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig but
>> I couldn't find any package that checks unversioned .pc file at config
>> stage. I only checked few packages, though.
> 's|lib/pkgconfig/lua-5.1.pc|lib/pkgconfig/lua.pc|'

So this will put lua.pc in the bl3 tree so that depending packages find

> And it is nice to use ALTERNATIVES for out of pkgsrc framework.
> bin/lua5.1 @PREFIX@/bin/lua
> lib/pkgconfig/lua-5.1.pc @PREFIX@/lib/pkgconfig/lua.pc

And this will let programs being built not under pkgsrc, or something
typing 'lua foo' get lua51, while allowing a way to switch that to 52.

I wonder  why, given the rampant "#!/usr/bin/env python" that is out
there, we don't have a culture of doing this for python?