Ask upstream to provide support for providing your own interpreter to configure?

Right, this can be done, upstream is very reactive and is welcoming patches,
I introduced NetBSD support rather easily.

But this was more an opened question, let's take for example
sysutils/xentools42 which also has a huge number of REPLACE_*/SUBST, that
must be annoying to maintain I guess...

Emile `iMil' Heitor .°. <imil@{,,}>