Re: Requirements for specifying dependencies on libraries

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 09:46:30AM +0100, Marc Espie wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 07:53:40PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > I agree with this.  If you step back from perl, and think of having a
> > configure.ac, you'd end up with code to run pkg-config and find at least
> > some version of some library.  So I would try to wrap the pkg-config
> > semantics into perl.
>
> Coincidentally, if you want to write pkgconfig semantics into perl,
> in OpenBSD, we got fed up of the glib2<->pkgconfig build loop, and we
> rewrote a clone of pkgconfig in perl... I know it doesn't help the other
> systems which removed perl from the base system, but in a perl context, that
> could be very helpful.
>
> Heck, it's even removably clean, with all the code in a module, so it
> should be fairly easy to integrate into a pure perl build system...

Take a look at othersrc/external/bsd/bsd-pkg-config for a rewritten
pkg-config without the perl bootstrapping worries.

        revision 1.1.1.1
        date: 2012-08-13 23:45:30 -0700;  author: agc;  state: Exp;  lines: +0
-0;
        Dust off my old bsd-pkg-config script and commit it to othersrc.

        Seems to do most of the things that other pkg-config scripts do, albeit
        in 150 grungy lines of shell, so I must be missing something.

Regards,
Alistair